9.30.2013

Labor Pains

One year ago today, at this very time, Stacy and I were checking into the birth center at United Hospital in St. Paul, excited to welcome Grayson into the world.

Stacy woke me up around 5:30 in the morning on Sept. 30, 2012.  She felt like she might be in labor, and she feared that she may have wet the bed.  This being our first pregnancy, Stacy was uncertain if her water had broken or not... one look at the puddle in our bed, and I was sure that it had!  Despite the intensity of the moment, both Stacy and I were relatively calm.  Stacy took a shower while I made her some breakfast (PB&J).  We gathered our things into the overnight bag, kenneled the dog and hit the road.  We even stopped for Caribou along the way.

I don't remember if we called family on the way or if we waited to get to the hospital, but I know that we informed the family relatively quickly.  We also called our doula, who arrived at the hospital around 9:30 or so.  Everyone was so very excited!  We knew that Grayson was coming into the world soon, and given the fact that labor started early on the 30th, we assumed that Grayson would be a September baby.  I was so sure of this fact that I ran to the local gas station to buy a newspaper for his baby book.

As we all know now, Grayson waited until October to come into this world.  September 30th would be one of the longest days of my life, one filled will much joy and anticipation, some frustrations, and very little sleep.  Thinking back to a year ago today, my heart smiles a bit in my chest... so many dreams started to become reality on that day, and my life hasn't been the same since.

The best part about the 30th, though, was watching Stacy labor.  She was so strong, so very brave throughout the process.  She was patient, and she was kind.  She never once yelled at me for doing this to her!  She rarely got discouraged.  Most of all, she exuded love the whole time.  Love for me, and love for our son.

The best part about Grayson waiting a day to come into this world: he gave us a day to celebrate his mom!

Happy Labor Day, Stacy!

1 comment:

  1. When I woke this morning I too remembered 1 year ago today and getting your phone call! You did call prior to leaving the house, by the way. Labor is truly an experience for a mom and dad unlike any other. And this time we all got Grayson at the end. What a treasure!

    ReplyDelete

Be gentle... writing everyday creates an imbalance favoring quantity over quality