10.01.2013

Happy Birthday, Grayson!

A letter to my Grayson on your first birthday:

Dear Grayson,

One year ago today, at 5:02 am, after just under 24 hours of labor, my greatest joy personified entered this world with a yawp!  (That would be you!)

Up until this moment, your mom and I had wondered endlessly about the person you would be, who you would look like, who you would act like... we didn't even know your gender.  Mom was certain you were a girl, as was the majority of the family.  Being a contrarian, I insisted you were a boy.  I had the pleasure of announcing to your mom that I was right.  She double-checked anyway.

Those very first moments of your life were filled with joy!  Your mom had worked so bravely and with such courage to bring you into this world.  We both cried as she held you against her chest.  After a few minutes, I quickly bounded down the hallway to the waiting room where your grandparents and other family were waiting eagerly to meet you.  I announced your name with pride: Grayson Calvin Schauffert Holm.  Everyone  was thrilled!  We hugged and kissed and laughed.  It is one of my favorite memories of that day.

The rest of the day, though, was quite stressful, but not at all because of you.  Your mother had some complications, and the hospital staff didn't catch it until the situation had become serious.  All of us were working on very little sleep, which made decisions all the more difficult.  You, though, are the main reason we made it through that morning.  You were a perfect baby about it all and through it all.  You patiently waited (and slept) while your mother gathered her strength.  You were kind and loving, and I have the pictures to prove it.  You even took to nursing with ease.  (I think you get that from me...)

The next 364 days have been but a blur.  It seems like yesterday we were charting your diapers to make sure you were getting the right amount of nutrition, and it seems like an eternity ago that you sat up for the first time.  I guess this is because I can't imagine life without you anymore, and the memories are growing fainter by the day.  We've had one year with you smiling at us (always smiling), the center of our attention and our world.  Your mom and I have become better people because of you, better partners to each other, and we are learning every day how to be better parents.

On this first birthday, YOU are our gift, and you are a gift to the whole world.  Everyone who meets you walks away a happier person with a little more love in their hearts.  Thank you for being you!

I love you, Grayson.

Happy First Birthday!

Love,
Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be gentle... writing everyday creates an imbalance favoring quantity over quality